Kirovohrad regional local history museum

The Kirovohrad Regional Museum of Local Lore is the heir to the city’s oldest museum institution, created in 1883 by Volodymyr Yastrebov (1855-1899), a teacher of Yelisavetgrad Zemstvo Real School.

In 1929, the district historical and archaeological museum was allocated premises at 40 Lenin Street, where it is still located today. In 1939, the museum was granted the status of a regional museum.

According to the resolution of the Kirovohrad Bureau of the Regional Party Committee dated May 1, 1946, “Before the Great Patriotic War, the funds of the local history museum had at their disposal a large number of items of history, archeology, ethnography, numismatics, flora and fauna, manuscripts by Saksagansky, Kropyvnytskyi, Russian, Dutch paintings , French, Ukrainian artists, a library with a large number of books of the 15th-18th centuries. During the occupation, the exposition was dismantled and the exhibits were dumped in the basement of the museum. Paintings, embroideries, carpets, books, porcelain, valuable vases were taken to Germany by the occupiers. Museum documentation was destroyed. In total, the museum lost more than 10,000 exhibits.”

In September 1946, the museum was opened to visitors.  The exposition had two sections – nature and history of the region.

Museum collections include more than 60,000 main items and more than 27,000 scientific and auxiliary items, these are interesting collections that characterize the historical development and culture of the region from ancient times to the present day, nature. It is in this museum that some objects from the world-famous collection of O. Ilyin are kept.

3D museum tour: 3D_kokm/kraeznavchuy_museum.html

Select the desired period in the calendar

Select the desired period in the calendar

Select the time you want